Your oral health is more important than you realize. In addition to brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing, it is essential to get routine dental checkups every six months to maintain a beautiful and healthy smile. A professional dental cleaning at Poff Dental Associates in Nashville, TN, can help you achieve the beautiful and healthy smile you have always wanted.
What Happens During a Dental Cleaning?
During a routine dental cleaning, a dental team will inspect the mouth, take X-rays, and perform a periodontal screening to evaluate the gums for inflammation, bleeding, and sensitivity. Following the examination, the dental team will remove tartar and plaque from the teeth using scalers and ultrasonic devices. The dentist may then perform professional flossing, use a hand tool to polish your teeth, and apply a fluoride treatment to strengthen the teeth.
Professional dental cleanings are vital because they help eliminate plaque and tartar to maintain healthy teeth. The general dentist should choose the timing of regular dental cleanings. However, most dentists advise basic cleanings twice a year.
What are the Benefits of Regular Oral Care?
You will not want to miss out on these seven advantages of routine oral care:
- Early Detection: Patients may undergo X-rays at dental appointments to examine the health of the teeth, roots, and jaw for issues that an oral examination cannot detect. Regular dental cleanings allow you to catch gum disease and tooth decay before they become more serious.
- Prevention of Plaque: Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that accumulates on the teeth. Even patients who make an effort to brush their teeth carefully may eventually miss little pieces of plaque, which will later develop into tartar.
- Prevention of Tartar Buildup: The plaque will eventually convert into tartar, which is difficult to remove. Your teeth start to look unhealthy and become discolored. Tartar not only looks terrible, but it can cause gum disease and tooth decay. Going to the dentist for cleaning can remove plaque before it hardens into tartar.
- Well-Being of Oral Health: Your dentist can tell you which aspects of your dental care are lacing, such as weak gums or not brushing under your teeth. You may take this knowledge with you and make the necessary adjustments to maintain oral health.
- Prevents Bad Breath: If you brush, floss, and use mouthwash regularly, you will have generally good breath. But with time, bacteria and food debris assemble in parts of the mouth that are difficult to access without a dentist.
- Fewer Cavities: Plaque accumulation causes tooth decay. When you have your routine teeth cleaning, plaque, tartar, and harmful bacteria are eliminated, reducing your chances of getting cavities in the future.
- Prevention of Tooth Loss: You can prevent tooth loss by preventing causes such as plaque and tartar buildup.
What is the Best Way to Take Care of Your Teeth Between Dental Cleanings?
There are a few techniques to practice and keep things under control in between trips to the dentist. They include:
- Brush your teeth thoroughly twice daily, and floss every day.
- You should avoid any tobacco products.
- Limit alcoholic beverages.
- Maintain a nutritious diet.
- Consume foods that naturally help to clean your teeth, such as apples and carrots.
- Remain hydrated.
Book Your Next Appointment with Poff Dental Associates
Regular teeth cleanings by a dental hygienist can significantly improve your dental hygiene and lower your risk for oral health problems. By visiting Poff Dental Associates, we can provide excellent oral health care in Nashville, Tennessee. Our team recognizes that regular dental check-ups can cause dental anxiety; however, we provide a safe, professional, clean office environment for our patients. Schedule your next dental cleaning appointment with us today for a brighter smile!