Most people know how important regular check-ups are to the dental office. Even if you take good care of your teeth and gums at home, you must regularly see a professional dentist to clean and examine your teeth. However, several factors can affect how frequently you should visit the dentist. At Poff Dental Associates in Nashville, TN, our friendly and experienced staff can make your appointment a positive one while helping you establish good oral hygiene and seek dental treatments.
Why is Going to the Dentist Important?
The best way to avoid dental problems is to go in for regular dental visits to get a professional cleaning and oral exam. Seeing a dentist is important because conditions like cavities, gum disease, and oral cancer may either be prevented or more readily treated when discovered early. Your dentist will always recommend your next appointment. However, the number of times you visit the dentist can vary depending on your lifestyles, such as smoking, personal objectives, biological background, and risk for oral health issues, as determined by both you and your dentist.
How Does Visiting the Dentist Improve Your Oral Health?
Dental visits improve your oral health in the following ways:
- Prevents Bad Breath: Food particles stuck for hours between your teeth form plaque, which can cause bad breath.
- Teaches Good Oral Habits: If you require a more specialized oral hygiene plan, you should keep up with regular dental checkups. Depending on your oral health, your dentist might recommend better care for your teeth in-between visits.
- Early Detection: A checkup enables your dentist to identify any dental issues you might not have recognized early on and correct them.
- Prevents Cavities: Visiting the dentist for a preventive dental cleaning helps to prevent cavities.
- Cleans Teeth for Plaque and Tartar Buildup: Only a dental professional can remove plaque that has hardened into tartar using specialized tools.
What is the Difference between a Dental Cleaning vs. an Exam?
Although many people combine them into one session, a dental cleaning and a dental exam are different services. A dental cleaning removes plaque and tartar from your teeth, while a dental exam is a thorough evaluation intended to ascertain the condition of your oral health. Dental cleanings and examinations typically have commonalities, including being non-invasive. Additionally, both of them are preventative steps to safeguard your oral health.
What Should People Expect During Their Next Appointment?
The dentist will begin your routine check-up by reviewing your dental history, including the date of your most recent examination and any oral health problems you might be experiencing. Your dentist will give you tips on improving your oral hygiene and general tooth-cleaning practices and, if required, recommend treatment or other steps to address any dental issues. Your dental exam includes the following elements:
- Cleaning: Scraping down each tooth to remove any plaque or tartar that has accumulated there, as well as above the gum line.
- Polishing: Thoroughly cleanse your teeth and remove any tartar left after cleaning using a polishing tool and a mildly abrasive paste.
- Cavity Detection: Your Dentist will go over the x-ray to look for any signs of a cavity.
- Oral Cancer Screening: Examining the neck, jaw, tongue, cheeks, roof, floor, and inside the lips is necessary to look for any early indications of oral cancer.
- X-rays: Give the dentist a chance to see the mouth in great detail and up close, which is typically impossible with the naked eye.
Visit Poff Dental Associates Today!
For some people, going to the dentist may be more frequent. In any case, it is a preventative practice that improves your dental health and makes life easier in the long term. Every person who visits Poff Dental Associates will receive high-quality dental care along with a relaxing experience from our staff of caring and knowledgeable specialists. So, contact us to schedule your next dental appointment today.