Dental exams and cleaning are crucial to ensure healthy and clean teeth. Are you looking for professional dental cleaning or examination in Nashville, TN? Our staff at Poff Dental Associates, led by Dr. Poff, provides professional dental examinations to help you identify underlying issues and can help you get get the best dental cleaning services. Contact us today to schedule a dental exam or dental cleaning in Nashville, TN.
Why is it Important to Maintain your Oral Health?
Good oral health can prevent gum diseases, tooth decay, and bad breath. It can also keep your teeth strong and healthier as you age. Good oral health and hygiene are linked to achieving and maintaining overall physical and emotional well-being.
A synergic relationship exists between oral health and overall health. For starters, without proper oral health and hygiene, bacteria can reach levels resulting in oral infections, such as gum disease and tooth decay. Bacteria can spread to other body parts, leading to illnesses.
Researchers have determined a relationship between dental problems and illnesses like respiratory diseases. Individuals suffering from gum disease are thrice as likely to have a stroke and twice as likely to die from a heart attack. Therefore, proper oral health can help prevent infections and underlying conditions to your overall well-being.
Benefits of Regular Dental Check-Ups and Cleanings
Advantages of regular dental cleanings and examinations include.
- Prevention of tooth decay and gum disease. Your dentist will detect and treat potential signs of tooth decay and gum disease to avoid worsening. Dental cleaning also eliminates bacteria prone to causing tooth decay and gum diseases.
- Early detection of oral cancer. We can detect early markers of oral cancer, such as loose teeth, pain during swallowing, white or reddish patches inside the mouth, etc., and address them promptly.
- Identification of other dental issues. Comprehensive dental checkups using x-rays, physical exams, etc., can help us identify developing/ underlying dental problems.
- Saving money in the long run. Early detection and treatment of dental problems can prevent the need to address the issues later when they worsen and become more expensive, saving you money.
What Happens During a Dental Check-Up?
Here is what to expect during a dental examination/ check-up.
- Oral Examination: Our dentist will physically examine your teeth, gums, and mouth to diagnose possible conditions and define a proper treatment or cleaning strategy.
- X-rays: The dentist may use X-rays to check for deeper underlying dental problems like bone loss, broken teeth, etc.
- Oral Cancer Screening: During oral cancer screening, the dentist uses gloved hands to check the inside of the mouth for signs of oral cancer. They may also examine your throat or neck for lumps.
What Happens During a Dental Cleaning?
Below are the processes to expect during a dental cleaning procedure.
- Scaling and Polishing: The dentist will use a scaler to remove plaque and tartar gently. The dentist then does power polishing to remove residue and stains after scaling.
- Removing Tartar and Plaque: Tartar and plaque tend to be the most uncomfortable part of dental cleaning. Our tartar and plaque removal is done professionally and in a friendly setting.
- Flossing and Fluoride Treatment: Professional flossing removes residual plaque from the teeth. The dentist then follows up the flossing using a fluoride treatment, especially for patients at a higher risk of tooth decay.
What are the Main Differences between a Dental Cleaning and an Exam?
Below are the differences between dental cleaning and examinations.
- Professional dental cleanings involve using special tools and techniques to clean the teeth. In contrast, a dental exam involves using special tools and methods to inspect the teeth to diagnose a dental problem or check for underlying dental issues.
- Though unnecessary, sedation may be a requirement during dental cleaning. On the other hand, a dental exam doesn’t require sedation.
Similarities between a dental cleaning and a dental exam include:
- Both are conducted by a member of the dental team professional dentist in a well-equipped dental clinic.
- Dental experts recommend dental exams and cleanings at least every six months.
Generally, dental exams and routine dental cleaning result in proper dental health and hygiene and are suitable for one’s overall physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
What Preventive Dentistry Services are Offered at Poff Dental Associates?
Common preventive dentistry services you can expect at Poff Dental Associates include:
- Dental Cleanings: We use state-of-the-art dental tools and techniques to clean teeth of every age, regardless of their condition.
- Dental Examination: Our in-house dentist combines the skills, experience, and tools necessary, such as X-rays, to diagnose various dental issues and related conditions.
- Sealants: Sealants are thin coatings painted on chewing surfaces of your teeth to help prevent cavities for as long as possible.
- Fluoride Treatments: These are often professional treatments containing high fluoride concentrations that our dentist applies to the patient’s teeth to improve their dental health while reducing the risk of cavities.
- Sports Mouthguards: We install sports mouthguards for athletic or physically active patients for structural protection against trauma and injuries.
Schedule Your Routine Dental Appointment with us Today.
At Poff Dental Associates, we understand how important oral hygiene is. Our dental office has comprehensive dental exams, professional teeth cleanings, and other preventive dental care services. Schedule your next routine appointment with us in Nashville today.